Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: shooter sent video to NBC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    shooter sent video to NBC


    MSNBC
    Updated: 5 minutes ago
    Sometime after he killed two people in a Virginia university dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui sent NBC News a rambling communication and videos about his grievances, the network said Wednesday.

    Cho, 23, a senior English major at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, killed 32 people in two attacks Monday before taking his own life.

    Network officials turned the material over to the FBI and said they would not immediately disclose its contents beyond characterizing the material as "disturbing."? It included a written communication, photographs and video.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/?GT1=9246
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    I don't know how many people have considered this, but I've been thinking about it all day and I figured I might as well say it right now and get it over with:

    The more I see and hear about this guy, the more I become sure that he was - in some way - tormented and perhaps bullied by his classmates and peers. I just can't help but find a connection among the dots.

    - He's described as a loner
    - He's described as being very quiet and within a shell
    - He hated rich kids and women, both of which may have perhaps teased or tormented the guy because of his "odd" ways
    - His message: "You all caused me to do this."

    I believe that he was picked on because of his strange personality and eventually met the boiling point and just exploded. I could be wrong, but I just can't help but wonder why he would suddenly go on a shooting rampage without further reasoning behind it.

    I also noted that he called himself the "Question Mark" and I was reading the newspaper today in which peers of him commented and said something along the lines of, "We would always joke around and wonder if he were to actually do something one day" and "We just knew him as the 'Question Mark' guy."

    This leads me to believe that they probably constantly teased him - after all, he was a loner, he was strange, he was obviously disturbed.

    I believe that those who are responsible for pushing him even further towards the boiling point are too irresponsible to speak up and admit that they were part of the cause.

    I apologize if this offends anyone, but this is just my personal theory.

    /walks away
    Officially retired

  3. #3
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    well when stuff like this happens, we as society, always look for bullies or other people to blame for his actions.
    Yeah, sure he may have been bullied, or even joked around with. Then again, he could have been just a nut, and then again, he could've just wanted to make a statement, and decided it was time to do what he thought was right.
    by him saying "you all made me do this", I wonder if that's directed towards one group, 2 people, or the community as one.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    In the text he specifically pointed out the rich and powerful. One thing this whole thing has made clear to me is that the teaching of tolerance without limits for the past 25-30 years has caused our society to enter into a state of moral decay. Don't get me wrong tolerance with limits is a good thing...but without limits it is not. All of this "that's just how so and so is" or "we're all different and special in our own way" works to pacify and give excuses for shortcomings and failure. It is the kindhearted thing to say but it takes away the accountability we all should have for our own actions. Treating everyone like little babies and coddling into adulthood has produced a society with no real sense of accountability or sense of good judgment. There is no discipline in schools anymore and it leads to a lack of discipline in general in our society. I'm not making excuses for this individual, but he wasn't born evil. He is a product of a society in a state of moral decay. Living in a free society, we will face these types of things more than once. But, in our culture events like this can be expected.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  5. #5
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/?GT1=9246

    did you watch the video and see the pictures?
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    Yeah I watched it...That's what I based my opinion in my previous post on. He just didn't fit in socially...Really, I think that is what drove him...he wanted what others had..but he didn't have it. Just because he was mentally ill doesn't mean our society isn't in decline. 99% of the sociological experiments that have taken place since the 70's to make our society "kinder and gentler" and "more tolerant" are proving to be failures.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    Before we all start with the "decline of our society" talk, let's not forget one very important factor. He had a history of serious mental illness. I'm pretty sure that this is at least a major cause for this incident. What I'm baffled by, however, is how someone that is as socially inept and withdrawn could have gotten into VT and been on course to graduate. I would have thought that his inability to deal with/communicate with/interact with his peers and teachers would have predisposed him to being a failure.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    Listening to CNN radio today on my way to a CT scan, and they mentioned some very valid points.

    One, the guy was at Tech, and his sister had went to Princeton. I mean he had access to a credit card that he purchased a $500+ gun (without questioned), apparently had a video camera, money to buy ammo, and if I'm not mistaken, a vehicle. Railing at rich kids at VT, is kind of crazy. It's not a 'rich kids' university.

    He is the one who put his name as "?". He is the one who wouldn't talk with his roommates.

    Did you read his plays? First off, they sound gradeschool level to me.

    Wait, he was picked on. Ok, how many people in this world haven't been picked on, made fun of, or such at some point or another? Very few.

    Like they said, there was plenty of signs that made you think this guy wasn't right, but there is plenty of people who are as out there as this guy and never go off.

    He stalked girls. He said he had an imaginary girlfriend.

    Don't put the blame on anybody but him. Someone said elsewhere 'he probably was molested'. Guess what, there are people molested daily, they don't go this route.

    He was an oddball, and it sounds like attempts to reach him just didn't work. Counseling, police, you name it, it was done. He shot people. Then made a video. This is not harassed, this is psychotic.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    Amen Rock, Amen [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer1.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: shooter sent video to NBC

    One of the people (who seemed smarter than any of us) that spoke today, was referring to the signs, but said there are hundreds of false positives. People who write disturbing stories, poems. People who threaten things. People who are reclusive, who seem to hate everybody, etc and you'll go through 99.9% of them and nothing like this will happen.

    Sadly, one thing they mentioned. They actually don't have enough data on this, because thankfully it hasn't happened enough to really have complete leads and picture perfect guides.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •